.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The New Crusade

A Blog dedicated to the promotion of the Traditional Roman Catholic Faith in union with HH Benedict XVI, to the preservation of our Traditional Græco-Roman Catholic Civilisation and to the New Crusade against Islam. This Blog is under the Patronage of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts of Christ our King and His Holy Mother, our Queen and of Santiago Matamoros (St James the Moor-slayer) and the Crusader King, St Louis IX of France.

06 août 2006

Happy Birthday WWW.

On this day, in Anno Domini 1991, the web went online. Fifteen short years, and here I am blogging. I remember those days. We had "freenets" set up by unis and community action groups, we had email with addresses like a085@cfn.net ( I think that was mine at the Cleveland Freenet!) and we had bulletin boards that you had to dial into (no broadband in those days and no ISP's! You dialed into each BBS individually!). I was blessed because I had access to the mainframe at the University of Kansas and my favourite BBS in Kansas City had established a local calling number in Lawrence. I rember being boggled by the speed, even then. I had a correspondent in Vladivostok. I emailed him one morning and it took 1.5 seconds for the message to be received! In those primitive days, I knew the route the message took: from the KU mainframe to Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS, to a mainframe in Albany, NY, to Copenhagen, Danemark, to the Kremlin in Moscow and out to Vladivostok, where the mainframe delivered it to him.

To use the words of Alexander Graham Bell, "What hath God wrought!" Let us use this technology for His glory and the Triumph of the Social Reign of the Sacred Heart of Christ the King and the Immaculate Heart of His most holy Mother, Mary, our Queen!

  • BBC Technology
  • 2 Comments:

    At 7/8/06 21:43, Blogger Curmudgeon said...

    PUNCH CARD GEEK !!!!

     
    At 7/8/06 23:17, Blogger Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm. said...

    You're right! I know I'm dating myself, but one of my first jobs at KU was "computer dispatcher". I got to feed the punch cards into the reader and mount 24" tape reels on a tape reader when requested by remote users. And, Oh yes, we had disk drives! They were the size of a small refrigerator and held one disk! I remember years later, when the 3.5" hard floppies came out. The consensus was that no one would ever need more than one, since it would never get full!

    We were just getting CRT's and we had Monopoly on the mainframe. It was great fun to try to get the computer to construct the (two dimensional) Monopoly board on a (one dimensional) teletype machine!

     

    Enregistrer un commentaire

    << Home